Monday, April 10, 2017

It's more like an homage to you, an interview with Senza







David Norman (Zegema Beach Records, мятеж, OMSB blog extraordinaire) and Jon Riley (Youth Novel, Vampires, Coniine Records) are putting together the tribute comp of all time. It's more like an homage to you is a 28 song long Jeromes Dream tribute compilation going on tape via Zegema Beach Records and Coniine Records. The proceeds of which are going to an undecided charity (so fucking pick one up digitally and physically ya'll) 
I have the joy of premiering Senza's cover of "How Staggering is This Realization" 



I also had the pleasure of interviewing Mason who drums and does vocals for Senza

Screamotapes: "The first I had ever heard of Senza was from a facebook livestream of your set and I immediately noticed the Jeromes Dream influence, what made you want to emulate that style?"

Mason: "Well, Tim and I met at the music school back in 2013 and we immediately bonded over our love of early screamo. Our first set ever included a Jeromes Dream Cover (It's More Like A Message To You) and an Orchid cover (Weekend At The Fire Academy) as well. Ever since I first heard JD I was infatuated with everything they had released. We wanted to make something that had a similar style to bands like Jeromes Dream and Orchid, but also do something that was unique and allowed us to express ourselves. We also don't use mics, in true Jeromes Dream fashion"

Screamotapes: "That's awesome, using no PA really pushes you to go all out"

Mason: "Yeah definitely."

Screamotapes: "The Jeromes Dream sound is pretty unique, though Tipping Canoe were an influence on JD, are you afraid of being seen as an imitator?" 

Mason: "I think that while we definitely take heavy influence from bands who have come before, we also draw sounds from original music we made prior, which makes Senza unique enough to where we can draw a fine line between bands we love and are inspired by, and us. Our guitarist's favorite band is Heaven in Her Arms and Tim and I are both orchestral percussionists, so we have a lot to pull from, James, our guitarist, was also classically trained in Piano growing up"

Screamotapes: "It's really cool to see classically trained musicians playing emo, what drew you to the genre?"

Mason: "I think what really drew me to the genre was how raw it is emotionally. Sadness is one of the most powerful emotions, this music and the people who play it have such a way of expressing themselves, it's really incredible. Also, almost everyone involved in the DIY screamo scene are the sweetest people, and being a part of that has been one of the greatest parts of my life."

Screamotapes: "Well put, I can definitely attest to that, did you all elect to cover "How Staggering Is This Realization?" If not, what was your first choice?"

Mason: "Before the songs were assigned, every band was to submit their top 3 choices. We ended up not getting to cover any of what we picked (It's More Like a Message to You, I'm Reminded of a Kid Who Used to Stomp Bugs, Just Down the Hall from Room 526) mostly because there were a lot of bands attempting to be on the comp, and a lot of people wanted the popular songs more. We're actually happy we ended up with a lesser known song because it gave us the chance to showcase how good some of their other material is!"

Screamotapes: "Right on, I backed down from the comp because I was so intimidated by every great band playing, what cover have you heard that has you the most stoked for this comp?"

Mason: "I still haven't heard every one of them, but so far Massa Nera's track has me the most excited. Honestly, this whole thing is gonna be incredible, we're honored to be a part of something so big!"

Screamotapes: "I've heard Massa Nera's track, (shown in the trailer above) it's fucking good. Mark's other band Our Wits That Make Us Men are covering "Remember the Sea of Tranquility" and theirs is just as good."

Mason: "When some of the other bands dropped, I hit up my buddy Salle from Sweden and he and I did another track together. I feel pretty lucky to have been a part of two tracks on here. I don't think I've heard theirs yet! More to look forward to!"

Screamotapes: "Thanks for talking with me, glad to be premiering the track!" 

Mason: "Thank you, glad to be a part of it!" 


It's More Like an Homage to You is coming out on the 30th of May, 2017. Please pick up a physical copy either from Zegema Beach or Coniine, or any of the bands participating.
Please also consider donating on the Zegema Beach Records bandcamp.

The charity is undecided at the moment, I will post an update when things are finalized and when other bands have had their songs premiered, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment